Circa early 1871, a number of Baptist associated with the First Baptist Church of Bridgeton, New Jersey but living in the Third Ward of Bridgeton (on the west side of the Cohansey River) believed it desirable to organize a Sunday School in their area. As a result of this desire, a lot was purchased on Fayette Street in 1871 and a temporary tent shelter was erected by the people known as the “Berean Sunday School”. Later on a temporary frame building was constructed and then by the winter of 1872 a brick building was erected and came to be known as “The Chapel” or “The Berean Chapel” by the members of the Berean Sunday School.
Since the Berean Sunday School was not an incorporated body, it could not hold title to property so it was decided to make a deed of trust to the First Baptist Church of Bridgeton “to hold until such time as a church might be organized.” The organization and recognition of Berean Baptist Church by other Baptist congregations took place on October 18, 1893.
Their first pastor was the Reverend J. Judson Pierson.
He was called to the church on November 12, 1893. The current church building, known as the “Berean Baptist Temple” was built in 1895. The old Berean Chapel stood next to the new structure for a number of years. However, in 1907, it was demolished and an area for parking was created.
In 1909, a parsonage was constructed by the Berean Baptist Church for their pastors and families along side of the church building on Vine Street. This parsonage is still in use today.
Due to the increasing attendance, in 1960-61, an Educational Building was constructed and attached to the existing church building. During this time, the parsonage was also moved farther down Vine Street to make room for the new construction. This major building project took place during the ministry of the Reverend Doctor Robert DeRemer (1948-1976).
There have been nine pastors called to serve the Berean Baptist Church over the years. The current pastor is the Reverend Kenneth Scovell. He was called in 2012.
The Berean Baptist Church is a biblically conservative evangelical fellowship associated with the Bridgeton Christian Ministers Association, the West New Jersey Baptist Association, the American Baptist Churches of New Jersey, and the American Baptist Churches of the USA.